Thousands of city residents and visitors enjoy Philadelphia’s beautiful public spaces every day.
Volunteer with your local park
We need volunteers to help us keep the City’s parks safe, clean, and welcoming.
Volunteering for a single day can incude:
- Other seasonal maintenance.
Those who want to get more involved can also volunteer on bigger projects like:
- Coordinating events.
Long-term volunteers are usually part of Park Friends groups. If you would like to volunteer in a neighborhood park, check our list of Friends groups to see if your park has an active group and reach out to them directly. If you don’t see your park listed, please email PPRstewardship@phila.gov or call (215) 683-3640.
Businesses that want to create company volunteer opportunities, please visit Fairmount Park Conservancy’s Corporate Volunteer Program webpage.
If you’re a non-corporate group of volunteers looking to get involved, please call (215) 683-3679.
Volunteer with recreation centers and other facilities
Recreation centers offer a variety of safe, fun activities for youth during out-of-school time, including sports, arts, and homework help. Volunteers can contribute many skills and talents to support programming. If you would like to assist with an after-school program, sports club, or summer camp at a recreation center, please contact the recreation leader at your area rec center.
Carousel House, Parks & Rec’s facility dedicated to people with disabilities, needs lots of volunteers. Visit their page, Volunteer at Carousel House, for details.
To volunteer for an ongoing position at a playground or recreation center, you must receive background clearances. Please read Parks & Rec’s volunteer clearance policy for more information.
Volunteer at an event
In addition to ongoing programming at parks, recreation centers, and other facilities, Parks & Rec coordinates special events. These events include:
- The Broad Street Run, held in May each year, is a decades-old Philadelphia tradition. Even if you won’t be running, you can still join in the fun as an individual or group volunteer.
- The Philadelphia International Unity Cup is a World Cup-style soccer tournament celebrating Philadelphia’s diverse immigrant communities, kicking off in September and leading up to a championship game in November. Volunteers are needed for each weekend’s games.
- LOVE Your Park Week (May) and Fall Service Day (November) offer volunteer opportunities with Park Friends groups across the city. Help clean and green Philadelphia’s parks with LOVE Your Park service events in spring and fall: registration typically opens a month in advance.
- TreePhilly is always looking for volunteers to help out at yard tree giveaway events each spring and fall.