What we do
Mayor Kenney appointed nine members to the Philadelphia Board of Education (BOE) in April 2018. Beginning in July 2018, the Board will oversee the School District of Philadelphia.
Board of Education duties
- Oversee all major policy, budgetary, and financial decisions for the school district
- Appoint and evaluate the superintendent of schools
- Adopt annual operating and capital budgets
- Authorize the receiving or expending of funds
- Authorize charter schools
Board members will also attend monthly public meetings and make regular visits to public schools.
The Board understands the responsibility they hold and wants to build on the school district’s recent progress. To do that, they will spend the spring and early summer preparing to lead. They’ll attend training sessions and take part in a city-wide listening tour. During the tour, the Board will hear from students, parents, educators, and residents about what they want from their schools.