Due to extremely hot weather, the City is implementing a Heat Health Emergency. Use our tips on staying cool, or go to a cooling center. For help call the heatline at (215) 765-9040.
In effect: 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 20 to 11:00 p.m. on Friday, July 21

Payments, assistance & taxes

Income-based water bill assistance

The Water Revenue Bureau (WRB) and the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) offer a number of income-based water bill assistance options for qualifying customers.

If you don’t qualify for income-based assistance, other grants and benefit programs are available. Check the related links for more information on these options.

Conservation Assistance Program (CAP)

CAP provides water conservation devices and education to customers who are at or below 150% of poverty level. On average, participants in the program save more than 25% in water usage. This program is administered by CMC Energy Services under a Water Department grant. For more information, call (215) 685-6099.

Water Revenue Assistance Program (WRAP)

WRAP provides grants of up to $500 to help qualifying customers pay water bills and prevent shutoffs as well as establish low-income payment agreements. Customers must be at or below 250% of the federal poverty level to qualify. Call the Water Revenue Bureau at (215) 686-6880 for more information.

Low-income payment agreements

If you’re having trouble affording your water bill, you might qualify for a low-income payment agreement.These agreements increase the amount of time you have to pay the full amount you owe. When you enter into an agreement, you must pay each installment in full and on time.

To qualify, you must:

  • Live in the property for which you apply.
  • Show that your total household income is within federal low income guidelines.
  • Submit copies of Social Security cards for each person living with you.
  • Provide evidence of all expenses such as utility bills, mortgage or rent payments, and real estate taxes.
  • Have a working water meter that registers active usage every month.

You can apply for a payment agreement in person, by mail, or by calling (215) 686-6880 for an application.

Standard payment agreements

If you’re having difficulty paying your water and sewer bill on time, call (215) 686-6880 to ask about a standard payment agreement. This agreement lets you break up the amount you owe into smaller installments, which you pay over a longer period of time.

You can enter into a maximum of two standard payment agreements once your water and sewer payment is late. If you fail to meet the terms of your first payment agreement, you can:

  • Pay the entire amount due on your bill; or
  • Enter into a second payment agreement.

If you fail to meet the terms of your second agreement, you must pay the entire amount due on your bill. You will not be eligible for a third payment agreement.