The City anticipates about 50,000 visitors to the city during the Democratic National Convention in July — about the number of visitors we get for the Army-Navy Game. And, just as with any major sporting event, the Convention will require minor street closures and other changes.
Below is a list of planned closures. We anticipate rolling, temporary road closures because of dignitary movements or protests around the Pennsylvania Convention Center and the stadium district in South Philadelphia.
In order to enforce the ban on 5-ton vehicles, PennDOT will have lane restrictions on I-676 and I-95 during the DNC. Expect delays.
Secret Service Restrictions
Beginning no later than 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, until late evening on Friday, July 29, the following permanent street closures will be in effect:
- North and south bound lanes of South Broad Street between Packer Avenue and the Navy Yard/Terminal Avenue
- Pattison Avenue from South 7th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Terminal Avenue from South Broad Street to South 11th Street
- South 11th Street from Hartranft Street to Terminal Avenue
Beginning no later than 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, until late evening on Friday, July 29, the following street closures will be in effect and access will be limited to authorized vehicles ONLY. Access will be controlled by the Philadelphia Police Department:
- Pattison Avenue from South 20th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Hartranft Street from South Broad Street to South Darien Street
- South Darien Street from Packer Avenue to Lurie Way
- 10th Street south of Packer Avenue
Beginning daily, from Monday, July 25, to Friday, July 29, the following I-76 eastbound exit ramp will be closed between the hours of 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.:
- Exit #350 / Packer Avenue
Bicycles are allowed in FDR Park. Bicycles are allowed on South Broad Street until to Pattison, at that intersection bicycles will need to travel westbound on Pattison. If bicyclists wish to access the Navy Yard, they should enter via 26th Street.
All sidewalks will remain open to pedestrians to allow access to FDR Park. The SEPTA Broad Street Line’s AT&T Station will remain open, too.
PennDOT I-95 Restrictions
All Philadelphia regional interstates and expressways will stay open for passenger vehicles, but please allow additional time for travel on I-76, I-676, and Route 291 because these highways will experience heavier traffic volumes due to commercial vehicles being diverted off of I-95.
We encourage all Philadelphians to consider using public transportation for travel into and out of Center City.
To help residents and those traveling to Philadelphia for the convention, PennDOT will launch a website in July – www.511PA.com/DNC. This website will provide real-time traffic information, color-coded maps showing how traffic is flowing, and other valuable information.
PennDOT will have a few restrictions in place on I-95 from Saturday, July 23, at 12:00 p.m. until midday Friday, July 29, for commercial vehicles, motor homes, and recreational trailers that weigh more than five tons:
- Commercial vehicles weighing more than five tons will be prohibited from traveling on I-95 between Exit 13 (Interstate 76 West/Route 291/Valley Forge) and Exit 22 (Interstate 676) in Philadelphia from Saturday, July 23 at 12:00 PM, until midday Friday, July 29.
- Commercial vehicles that weigh more than five tons that will be restricted are delivery trucks, utility vehicles, parcel trucks, small dump trucks, buses, flatbed and stake trucks, refrigerated and box trucks, large delivery trucks, refuse trucks, cement mixers, buses, and all tractor trailer combinations including double trailers.
- Motor homes and recreational trailers operated for personal use that weigh more than five tons will also be restricted from traveling on this section of I-95.
- Detours for vehicles that weigh more than five tons will be posted and are available on PennDot’s website.
- In addition, the northbound and southbound entrance ramps to I-95 between Exit 13 and Exit 22 in Philadelphia will be closed to commercial vehicles over five tons. Commercial vehicles will be directed to use arterial roads to reach either I-95 north or south beyond Exit 13 or Exit 22.
All Philadelphia regional interstates and expressways will remain open to passenger vehicles. However, the I-95 exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will have closures:
- The I-95 northbound exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will be closed from Friday, July 22 at 10:00 PM until midday Friday, July 29.
- The I-95 southbound exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will be open intermittently during convention week, but only for access to the Navy Yard. The southbound exit-ramp will be closed:
- Friday, July 22 at 10:00 p.m. until Saturday, July 23 at 6:00 a.m.
- Monday, July 25 at 2:00 p.m. until Tuesday, July 26 at 2:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 26 at 2:00 p.m. until Wednesday, July 27 at 2:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 27 at 2:00 p.m. until Thursday, July 28 at 2:00 a.m.
- Thursday, July 28 at 2:00 p.m. to midday Friday, July 29.
- The posted detours for motorists to follow during the closure of the I-95 exit ramps at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) are:
- From I-95 North: Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east to Moyamensing Avenue to Oregon Avenue to Broad Street (Route 611).
- From I-95 South: Enterprise Avenue to Island Avenue to Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east to Moyamensing Avenue to Oregon Avenue to Broad Street (Route 611).