The Office of Sustainability (OOS) is responsible for implementing Greenworks Philadelphia, the City’s comprehensive sustainability plan. We work with partners around the city to improve quality of life in all Philadelphia neighborhoods, reduce the City’s carbon emissions, and prepare Philadelphia for a hotter, wetter future. OOS recently worked with community members and issue experts to update the Greenworks framework to encompass eight broad, long-term visions for a Philadelphia where all residents:
- Have access to healthy, affordable, and sustainable food and drinking water.
- Breathe healthy air inside and outside.
- Efficiently use clean energy that they can afford.
- Are prepared for climate change and reduce carbon pollution.
- Benefit from parks, trees, stormwater management, and healthy waterways.
- Have access to safe, affordable, and low-carbon transportation.
- Waste less, and keep our neighborhoods clean.
- Benefit from sustainability education, employment, and business opportunities.
The City of Philadelphia’s Energy Office, housed within the Office of Sustainability, manages City government energy operations. The mission of the Energy Office is to:
- Strategically secure cost effective, reliable, safe, clean energy and conventional energy systems for city government.
- Promote energy conservation and efficiency within City facilities by providing education, technical expertise and analysis of energy used.
- Develop and implement projects and programs that promote the efficient use of energy and reduce the City’s environmental impact.