What we do
The Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) provides the services that help people comply with building safety standards and other code requirements. Contractors, business and property owners, landlords, and tenants are all served by L&I.
As part of our mission, we:
- Inspect construction projects so they meet construction and fire codes.
- Inspect higher-risk properties for compliance with fire codes.
- Respond to complaints regarding many code violations.
- Inspect, monitor, seal and demolish vacant and/or dangerous buildings.
- Review plans and issue permits according to building, zoning, plumbing and electrical codes.
- Issue trade and business licenses.
- Help landlords and tenants understand their responsibilities.
Businesses and individuals can obtain or renew licenses through our eCLIPSE system and can also search by name or address for business license information. We’ll also help you find licensed contractors. To report code violations, contact Philly311.
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19102