PHILADELPHIA – The Educational Nominating Panel has extended the deadline for applications and nominations for the new Philadelphia Board of Education. Submissions are now due on February 7.
“We are incredibly pleased that nearly 500 individuals have already applied and submitted nominations,” said Nominating Panel chair Wendell Pritchett. “We want to make sure that as many interested and qualified Philadelphians as possible are able to apply, so we are extending the deadline to allow more time for outreach and to ensure that all interested applicants can submit their applications in time for us to review.”
Applications and nominations can be submitted through the City of Philadelphia’s online form, or by mail to City Hall.
Paper submissions should be addressed to:
Educational Nominating Panel
c/o Mayor’s Office
Philadelphia, PA 19107
The Nominating Panel is currently considering applicants and nominees for the Board, and will submit a final list of nominees for Mayor Kenney’s consideration in February. The tentative timeline is as follows:
- February 7: Board of Education application closes.
- February 28: Deadline for Nominating Panel to recommend 27 candidates to Mayor.
- March: Mayor announces Board of Education appointments; date to be determined.
- April-June: Board of Education member orientation.
- July 1: The Board of Education assumes governance of the Philadelphia School District.
For residents who would like to learn more about the Board of Education and the process of re-establishing local control of the School District, City officials will hold information sessions on the following dates:
- Tuesday, January 30 at 6:00 p.m. with Southwest CDC at 6328 Paschall Avenue
- Monday, February 5 at 6:00 p.m. with Ceiba at Esperanza College, 4261 N. 5th Street
- Monday, February 26 at 7:00 p.m. with Cedar Park Neighbors at Calvary Church, 801 S. 48th Street
All dates and locations for information sessions are posted at phila.gov/education.