We want you to have a safe holiday season. In Philadelphia, natural-cut Christmas trees are allowed only in one- and two-family homes. Properly selecting and caring for your Christmas tree can help prevent house fires.
Here are some tips:
- When choosing a tree, bend some of the needles. If they break, the tree is too dry.
- After picking your tree, cut off an extra inch of the trunk. The fresh cut will help it absorb water.
- Place tree firmly in stand with plenty of room for water.
- Check water level daily and add if needed.
- Make sure electrical cords (for tree lights) are not frayed or knotted.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets.
- Never leave a lighted tree unattended.
- Don’t let the tree block exits or stairs.
- Keep tree away from portable heaters and other sources of heat.
- Make sure all ornaments and decorations have been removed from the tree before disposal or recycling.